In this article: Cumin aka Jeera seeds home remedies | Indigestion | Weight loss | Insomnia | Cold | Urinary tract infection (UTI) | Prickly heat rashes | Bad breath | Gout and kidney stones
Many spices that you use in everyday cooking not only add flavour to the food but provide incredible health benefits as well. One such is the ancient spice cumin, hugely popular in the cuisines of India, China, Mexico, Africa, and the middle-east.
The simple spice used for seasoning can prove handy as an effective home remedy for several common ailments. So, reach for cumin seeds or powder available in your kitchen to treat the following issues.
Home Remedies With Cumin Aka Jeera Seeds
1. An excellent remedy for indigestion
Cumin, aka jeera, is a well-established digestive aid. According to Ayurveda, it has the capability to stimulate the production of digestive enzymes to keep stomach troubles at bay.
So, if you are suffering from indigestion, drink cumin (Jeera) water three times a day to avail relief. It seems to be too simple to be effective; but, trust us, it works.
Jeera water preparation:
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds to a cup of water
- Allow it to boil
- You will notice the water turn to a brownish colour
- Switch off, strain the seeds if needed (if you don’t filter the seeds, the seeds settle down at the bottom. You can drink the water with/without straining the seeds)
- And your jeera water is ready
You can prepare a larger quantity in the morning and save it for the rest of the day. Also, you can easily carry it in a thermos flask to your workplace and drink it later on.
Further, if you have any other digestive complaints such as gas, bloating, acidity or heartburn, you can drink jeera water to feel better.
Another useful home remedy to relieve digestive problems is to consume buttermilk sprinkled with jeera powder and salt. Optionally you can add ginger, pepper powder, asafoetida, coriander leaves or mint leaves, depending on the availability of such ingredients in your kitchen, to quickly whip up a delicious and refreshing drink.
Does the idea of buttermilk refresh you? Then you must try this spiced amla buttermilk which is not only good digestion but is packed with nutrients.
Interesting tidbits: Cumin is called Seeragam in Tamil (South Indian language), which literally means to regulate the body. Also, Jeera in Sanskrit means that can digest. So, it is an excellent idea to consume cumin in any of the above forms, especially after a large meal, say at a party, to avoid potential stomach troubles.
2. Helps in Weight loss
Jeera water can also help with weight loss by giving a boost to your metabolism. Coupled with a good lifestyle consisting of proper diet and exercise, adding cumin seeds water to your routine can effectively help achieve your weight loss goals.
Additionally, it will also help balance your blood sugar levels. Thus, it can improve your overall well being.
Alternatively, you can also try another method of using cumin for weight loss. Dry roast a spoonful of cumin seeds, mix it with a cup of yoghurt and consume it twice a day.
3. Treats Insomnia
If you have been suffering from sleeplessness, try this insomnia home remedy using banana and cumin aka jeera seeds. The duo generates ample amounts of sleep-inducing hormones such as melatonin which prove beneficial in this regard.
1. Mash a banana and sprinkle with a teaspoon of jeera powder and eat it before going to bed. You can do this anytime you have difficulty falling asleep.
Also Read: Simple tips for treating insomnia naturally
4. Effective in relieving Cold symptoms
Ginger and cumin (jeera) possess excellent anti-inflammatory properties and hence are effective home remedy in treating a cold. So, whenever you feel a cold coming on, prepare this ginger-cumin drink and consume it.
- Add a piece of ginger with a spoonful of cumin seeds in a cup of water, boil, strain it and drink it.
- You can repeat the process during the day a couple of times till you feel the symptoms going away.
- Don’t cough suppressants seem to work? Try these home remedies instead!
- 10 Best Herbs and Home Remedies To Treat Bronchitis in Children
5. Jeera for Urinary tract infection (UTI)
UTI is one of the common problems most women face and the condition can be treated using jeera-coriander drink as they are mildly diuretic in nature.
How to make jeera water for UTI?
- Soak a spoonful of cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a glass of water overnight.
- Strain and drink the water in the morning.
- Repeat the process by preparing a fresh batch every night to find relief.
Apart from this jeera-coriander water, there are a few other effective home remedies for UTI. Also read: Easy and effective natural remedies to manage UTI.
6. Soothes Prickly heat rashes
Come summer, and prickly heat rashes become a common problem. The cumin aka jeera seeds prove to be a helpful home remedy in treating prickly heat rashes.
- Make a paste using cumin seeds and coconut milk and apply it to the affected areas.
- Leave it on for at least 20 minutes before washing it off with water.
Furthermore, drinking jeera water regularly during the summer months can help avoid such issues.
7. Reduces Bad breath
Some are prone to bad breath as the day goes on. Try chewing on roasted cumin seeds after every meal to reduce bad breath.
8. Prevents gout and kidney stones
Cumin seeds are generally considered safe to use on a daily basis as long as you don’t overdo it. In fact, it is so safe and loaded with health benefits that people in the South Indian state of Kerala drink jeera water instead of regular water every day!
If you are on diabetes medication, watch out for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) when you start using jeera water to make sure the blood sugar levels do not drop too low.
Further, since cumin may slow blood clotting, avoid using it for medicinal purposes before or after surgery, especially if you are new to using cumin.
Home remedies generally work well if you start them as soon as you feel the symptoms starting. It will help you get a handle on the issue and treat it at the outset. Though it might be convenient to pop a pill for common ailments and gain instant relief, such practices might not be beneficial in the long run.
Instead, opting for home remedies will not only treat the current ailments but also prevent future potential health issues as they tend to improve your overall health and not just take care of the immediate symptoms.
So, go ahead, and use cumin seeds as home remedies. You won’t regret it!
Share this post: