Turmeric is an ancient Indian spice traditionally used in cooking and home remedies. Its uses are still relevant due to its exhaustive medicinal value. Here are some research-based, tried and tested, less often heard, turmeric-based home remedies that can be helpful for yourself or someone you know.
Turmeric-based Home Remedies
1. Turmeric paste to improve psoriasis symptoms
Turmeric is an excellent home remedy to treat the symptoms of psoriasis – a condition that causes skin cells to build-up resulting in a variety of problems such as itchy and scaly patches, dry and cracked skin, swollen joints and more.
The presence of the active ingredient curcumin in turmeric has exceptional anti-inflammatory properties and hence is effective in treating Psoriasis symptoms.
- Mix one part turmeric in two parts water in a saucepan
- Allow the mixture to simmer until it becomes a smooth paste; let the consistency be wet so that it can be applied easily on the skin, and it stays on the skin well
- Let it cool down
- Turmeric paste is ready
Apply this paste on the affected areas and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water. You can also leave the paste on overnight by wrapping a gauze over the area. Then, you can remove the gauze in the morning before washing the paste off with warm water.
The prepared turmeric paste can be stored covered in a refrigerator, and you can continue this process daily. Typically, in around 9 to 12 weeks, you should be able to observe significant improvement. If your symptoms persist or aggravate, it is best to see an expert.
2. Turmeric golden milk to ease cold symptoms
The golden milk is one of the effective Turmeric home remedies. Turmeric’s antiviral and antibacterial properties help fight the infection-causing microbes, and its anti-inflammatory properties help relieve the cold symptoms simultaneously.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and one teaspoon of crushed black pepper to a glass of milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil
- Optionally, you can add other spices such as ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon to the mix
- You can also add honey or palm sugar to make the drink taste better
- If you are adding honey, make sure you do it once the golden milk cools down a bit
Also, you can consume this golden turmeric milk to ease congestion, sore throat, cold and cough.
3. Turmeric tea to ease arthritis symptoms
The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of Turmeric makes it an excellent home remedy for arthritis as it can help ease symptoms such as swelling and inflammation in arthritis patients. One simple way to utilise turmeric to reduce arthritis pain is to consume it in the form of tea.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric into 2 cups of water and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes
- Then, strain the mixture into a cup
- Allow it to cool down a bit
- Optionally, you can add honey and squeeze a bit of lemon juice into the cup
- And drink the tea regularly
- Kashayam-An Effective Home Remedy For Common Cold
- 5 Simple Home Remedies For Common Everyday Health Problems
4. Turmeric home remedies to ease eczema symptoms
Eczema or atopic dermatitis is a common skin condition that presents symptoms such as itchy, dry and inflamed skin due to lack of moisture. The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties of turmeric tend to be helpful in easing the symptoms which could present erratically.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric, two teaspoon chickpea flour, a teaspoon of almond oil, and three teaspoons of milk to form a smooth paste
- Apply the paste as a mask and leave it on for 15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
This turmeric mask can treat not only eczema symptoms but can also be an effective home remedy for other skin related issues such as acne, blemishes, etc., and help rejuvenate the skin in general.
5. Turmeric powder to heal cuts and wounds
Turmeric can come handy as a first aid when it comes to wounds.
- For any cuts or wounds, reach for this spice and mix it with water to make a paste
- Apply it on the affected area and cover with a gauze or bandage.
As turmeric has antiseptic properties, it can help prevent infection and heal the wound naturally. Though this is a useful Turmeric home remedy, be aware that it can be quite stinging.
If you would like to know more about Turmeric, its medicinal qualities, and the research evidence, read Turmeric – A Medicinal Plant With Miraculous Benefits
Images from canva.com