Ginger is probably one of the favourites of moms. Not only for the appetising flavour but for the medicinal values this root has! However, should you be cautious about the amount of ginger you use in a day? Yes, you should be. Now, you wonder, “How much ginger root is too much and how much can you take daily?”. Well, that is not very complicated.
It is almost impossible to take too much ginger when you use fresh ginger in your remedies or in your food. However, you must be super cautious when you take ginger supplements. You must indeed consult your doctor before taking any ginger supplements.
Before going into the details of ‘How much ginger you can take in a day?’, here are some easy ginger recipes to include in your meal.
Fresh ginger tea
Ginger tea is the tastiest way of taking ginger for good health. The tea is refreshing and delicious and can be prepared in a flash.
Choose fresh ginger and take about an inch of it. Peel the skin, wash well, and finely grate the ginger. Add a cup of water, put it on a low flame, and simmer for five minutes.
Enjoy sips of your warm fresh ginger tea. Optionally, you can add honey to make it tastier and healthier.
Ginger in your dish
This is the easiest way of adding ginger to your diet. Finely grate fresh ginger. Add a pinch or two while sauteing veggies. Alternatively, you can also sparingly add grated ginger to your prepared dish.
Further, you can also store the grated ginger in your refrigerator for a couple of days to use when necessary.
Carrot and ginger soup
Ginger and carrot soup is another healthy and tasty way of including ginger in your diet. The soup is healthier for both kids and adults.
- You would require 2-3 carrots, 2-inch ginger (grated), one onion, a tsp of butter, and herbs and pepper to garnish.
- Heat butter in a thick-based pan. Saute chopped onion, grated ginger, and sliced carrots.
- Add water covering the sauteed mixture, close with a lid, and cook until soft.
- Puree the cooled mixture.
- Heat the puree in a pan adding enough water to make the preferred consistency.
- Add pepper powder and herbs of your choice.
Candies and supplements
Ginger candies are an excellent option to relieve nausea, hence can be useful for pregnant women with morning sickness and people with travel sickness during travel. Also you can’t take too many candies because of the zingy taste. So you need not worry about your daily quota of ginger.
Ginger supplements are usually prescribed for maintaining good health, so it is best to take expert advice on the dosage.
How much ginger can you take daily?
Here is some guidance with portion sizes:
- You can have a cup of ginger tea made with an inch of ginger at a time. And, you may have 3 to 4 cups a day.
- When you include it in the grated form to your dish, take care you don’t taste just the ginger. Ideally, an inch of ginger added sparingly is absolutely fine.
- Even if you try, you cannot have too many ginger candies 🙂 Ideal for keeping you less nauseated, munch on a candy every 3-4 hours until your travel is done.
- Consult your doctor before taking ginger supplements to avoid adverse effects.
Side effects of too much ginger
Relieving abdominal discomforts is one of the popular ginger remedies, but if you have too much fresh ginger at a time, it can cause
- abdominal pain
Some useful tips
- Washing ginger:
- Store-bought fresh ginger may have a lot of mud, so washing it well is important.
- You can wash it under running water for about 20 seconds.
- A soft-bristled vegetable brush can help easily remove the hard mud.
- Also, a vegetable cleanser is unnecessary; washing it under plain water is enough.
- After washing, dry the ginger with a clean towel or napkin.
- Wrap dried ginger in a paper bag or paper towel, ensuring no space for air or moisture to enter.
- Store the wrapped ginger in the refrigerator.
- Peel the outer skin.
- Wash the peeled ginger under running water.
- Chop it into fine pieces.
- Or, you may also grate it using a vegetable grater.
Almost all ancient medicine systems knew the power of ginger very well and hence incorporated it into the regular diet and medicines. Consuming ginger as tea or adding sparingly in your dish is not difficult, and if you do, your body is going to love it. However, when taking ginger supplements take expert advice. So, have some love for ginger!!