Who doesn’t dream of having beautiful hair that everyone admires? If you’re lucky enough to have healthy, thick hair, you’re in the minority. Most of us worry about our hair in one way or another. Luckily, proper hair care can fix most hair issues!
Some people wish their hair was shinier and had more lustre, while others deal with hair that’s getting thinner or falling out. It’s a common concern that many of us face!
However, understanding the fundamentals of hair care can go a long way in helping you maintain healthy and beautiful hair. Here is a quick insight into the hair care basics, including reasons for hair fall, foods to improve hair health, and the dos and don’ts for healthy and gorgeous locks.
- Five Reasons Why Oiling Is Good For Hair, Choosing Oil, Dos And Don’ts
- Five Amla Remedies For Common Health Problems That Actually Work
- Eight Most Common Questions You Might Have On TCM Answered
- Seven Super Effective Home Remedies For External And Internal Hemorrhoids
Reasons for hair problems
Hair fall is the most common problem faced by women and men. Other issues include dull, lifeless hair, dry, brittle hair, dandruff, scalp infections, hair conditions, etc.
While heredity would often be the reason for hair fall, especially if you are losing as you age, there are other possible reasons behind hair fall.
- Nutritional deficiencies, such as iron, biotin, zinc, vitamins A and D
- A sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy diet
- Hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy or due to thyroid disorders, PCOS, etc.
- Using harsh products on the hair
- Chemical and heat treatments like colouring, straightening, or curling
- Scalp infections, like fungal infections
- Medical conditions, such as lupus, alopecia areata, etc.
Best foods for hair health
The important nutrients for hair health include biotin (vitamin B7), vitamins A, B, C, and D, iron, zinc, and healthy fats. You can get these nutrients by including the following foods in your diet:
- Dark leafy greens
- Fatty fish like salmon and sardines
- Sweet potatoes
- Chickpeas, lentils, and peas
- Chia seeds
Asanas for hair health
Particular yoga poses can enhance blood circulation in the scalp, providing essential nourishment to your hair roots and simultaneously alleviating stress, which can be beneficial in reducing hair fall. Incorporate the following asanas into your routine to promote excellent hair health and stimulate hair growth:
- Hasta padasana or Standing forward bend
- Yogendra Chakrasana or Wheel pose
- Adho mukha svanasana or downward dog pose
- Ustrasana or camel pose
- Sarvangasana or Shoulder stand
- Halasana or plough pose
- Yoga mudra
Dos for good hair health
We are born with some level of physical and mental health. This includes skin and hair health as well.
Being born with good hair does not mean you can enjoy the locks for a lifetime without effort. It requires regular maintenance, lest you will face hair problems.
Knowing what to do and what not to do is crucial to sustain hair health.
- Consume a balanced diet
- Drink adequate water to stay hydrated from the inside out
- Regular exercise along with yoga
- A good night’s sleep
- Regular hair care
- Scalp massage with nourishing oils like coconut oil and sesame oil
- Gentle towel drying or natural air drying
- Choose hair accessories that are gentle on hair – no pulling or breaking hair
- Choose satin pillowcases
- Use hats or scarfs when spending excess time outdoors to protect hair from pollutants and UV radiation
- Use a leave-in conditioner or oil your hair before swimming in a pool or sea to protect hair from chlorine or salt water damage
Don’ts for hair health
- Avoid processed foods
- Avoid harsh hair products
- Avoid overuse of shampoo
- Avoid tight hairstyles
- Do not brush or style your hair when it is wet
- Avoid rubbing hair vigorously while towel drying
- Do not apply more pressure while massaging your hair
The bottom line
Except when having hair conditions that require medical attention, most hair problems can be managed with informed hair care. A regular, simple hair care routine goes a long way in enjoying healthy-looking, nourished locks.